Next week the library will be installing a new software upgrade. While the upgrade is being implemented, some of our services will be affected. In order to help everyone prepare and plan for this transition, we've outlined what to expect during the process, to the best of our knowledge, at this point. Library staff in your local branch will be able to fill you in on the most up-to-the-minute progress reports.
What: The library is upgrading the software used to check out materials to the public. This includes the library catalog and the system we use to create and maintain item records and library cards. The new system is called Sierra.
When: The upgrade is scheduled to occur on Tuesday, October 2 and Wednesday, October 3, 2012.
Who will be affected: Anyone who has a library card from any public library in Marin County. Anyone who accesses the Internet at a library computer. Anyone who uses the online library catalog, or the library's smartphone catalog app. Anyone who downloads eBooks or accesses library databases.
Where: All public library branches in Marin County and Domincan University. The MARINet website (library catalog, eBooks, and databases.)
How to prepare:
- please bring your library card to check out materials. It will not be possible to check out items without your library card.
- Don't return items to the library on Oct.2 & 3, if at all possible (items should not be due on either day.)
- The library's public Internet workstations, catalogs and public printers will not be available, but wi-fi (wireless access) will be functioning.
These library services will be available during the upgrade:
- Checking out items at a staffed desk, library card required
- Wi-fi access in branches
- Library website content not related to the catalog, eBooks, or databases
- EBSCO databases (Magazines, Biography, etc.) & NoveList database
- LINK+ catalog in view-only mode-- won't be able to request items
- MARINet Digital Downloads site--access to OverDrive downloadable eBooks
These library services will not be available during the upgrade:
- Library catalog (includes Classic Catalog, Encore Discovery Catalog, and Library Smartphone app)
- Public Internet Workstations and printers in library branches
- Online access to your library account (My MARINet)
- Online holds/reserve requests (includes MARINet catalog and LINK+ catalog)
- Most library databases (includes Mango Languages, ProQuest Newspapers, BookFlix and Gale Virtual Reference Library)
- Discover & Go, the local museum pass reservation system
- Email notices from the library (includes automated courtesy, hold pickup, and overdue notices)
During our transition to the new software, there may be intermittent outages of the library's computer system. Please bear with us as we attempt to make this change happen as smoothly as possible and restore library services.