Offering what the New York Times calls “a garden of cinematic delights,” Kanopy showcases more than 30,000 of the world’s best films, including award-winning documentaries, rare and hard-to-find titles, film festival favorites, indie and classic films, and world cinema with collections from Kino Lorber, Music Box Films, Samuel Goldwyn, The Orchard, The Great Courses, PBS and thousands of independent filmmakers. About 150 new films are added each month, and about 60% of the content is exclusive to Kanopy.
With the motto of “thoughtful entertainment,” Kanopy provides access to films of unique social and cultural value; films that are often difficult or impossible to access elsewhere, and programming that features diversity, with a wide array of foreign language films and films on race, and current affairs.
What You Need to Know
- Available to members of Marin County Free Library branches and the San Rafael Public Library (Restrictions may apply based on your home address)
- You can watch up to 10 movies a month
- Counter resets on the first day of the month
- Works on most devices, either through a browser or apps available for iOS, Android, Chromecast, Apple TV
All you need is your library card!
- Go to https://marinlibrary.kanopy.com/
- Click “Sign Up” in upper right hand corner of screen
- Enter your information, and an email will be sent to you
- Open the email, follow the link, and add your library card information
- You’re set up and ready to go – from now on you only need to enter your login and password (you can keep your library card in your wallet)
- If you get stuck, visit the Kanopy Help Pages
Dive in and Watch!
Here are some good starting points. You can also just browse through sections of the front page or search for a specific title.
- Janus Films (The Criterion Collection)
- SXSW Film Festival
- The Great Courses
- Must-See Classic Films
- PBS (Frontline, American Experience, Eyes on the Prize, etc.)
- World Cinema
- Independent Cinema
We hope you enjoy this new resource as much as we do!