Paws To Read, the 2014 MCFL Summer Reading Program, will get your tail wagging! It’s packed with free and fun activities designed to inspire creativity, learning, and exploring for the whole family.
The centerpiece of this year’s program is Reader BINGO with different cards for children, teens and adults. Completed squares and rows are eligible for prizes and raffle drawings. Kids can earn prizes including a Paws To Read T-Shirt, while teens will be entered into drawings for Giants' tickets, gift cards and even an iPad Mini! Adults will be eligible for raffle drawings of local food and beverage gift cards. Scheduled events taking place at the MCFL branches include readings, arts and crafts.
So delight in all the joys of summer. READ. EXPLORE. LEARN.
Download your BINGO card here and take into the branch of your choice to enroll in Paws To Read:
Teen (going into grades 6-12)
MCFL is dedicated to providing educational programming for young people during summer months, helping keep children engaged in reading and in their communities while out of school.
Kids Who Read during the Summer Succeed
Kids who participate in library summer reading programs are better prepared for the next school year.
- Young people can lose 2-3 months of progress in reading achievement over the summer.
- Reading 5 books over the summer prevents learning loss, according to a White House study.
- Struggling students, who may have negative perceptions about school, can use public libraries as a "neutral zone" to explore reading.
- Selecting their own books helps young readers broaden their horizons and discover new interests.
- Libraries encourage reading as a lifelong habit. Library programs offer free, constructive, supervised enrichment activities where kids can socialize.
- The program can generate ongoing interest in the library and books. For more information on Summer Reading research, visit here.
Paws to Read—Paws to Give
Play Paws to Read BINGO and feed a pet. The Marin County Free Library will donate 50 cents to The Marin Humane Society’s Pet Food Drive when you sign up to play Paws to Read BINGO. (up to a total donation of $500)
SHARE (Special Human-Animal Relationships) helps children improve literacy skills while offering them an opportunity to have fun reading – to dogs!