After much debate and careful consideration, the MARINet libraries have decided to phase out the Cloud Library platform (formerly known as 3M) in June.
What does this mean?
If you are a current Cloud Library user you will still be able to checkout titles until June 1st through the Cloud Library app or a direct link to their website.
If you have titles on hold that you don’t think you will get to read in time, please contact us and we will get your hold moved over to a copy in OverDrive if one is available.
If you have items checked out through Cloud Library at the time it is cut off, you will still have access to those items until the end of the checkout period.
Why was this decision made?
- OverDrive is significantly more popular with patrons than Cloud Library: in May 2017 there were 16,146 items checked out from OverDrive compared to 1,175 items from Cloud Library.
- The cost of keeping both Cloud Library and OverDrive running and well-stocked wasn’t tenable. Libraries must pay platform fees for each service as well as buy eBooks at a much higher cost than is commercially available to the public, and that’s just to provide them for either a limited time period or a certain number of checkouts.
- Keeping a full collection in both platforms is very expensive, duplicating fees to use each platform and purchasing titles on both services. Consolidating to the more popular OverDrive platform will allow the Library to spend more on actual materials instead of platform fees.
- Cloud Library doesn’t offer books in kindle format, which is a big drawback for many of our patrons.
- Approximately 80% of our materials owned in Cloud Library will be transferred over to the OverDrive platform.
What other eBooks services can I use instead of Cloud Library?
The library offers access to OverDrive (downloadable eBooks & eAudiobooks) and Hoopla (streaming and downloable eBooks & eAudiobooks).